Pages

Friday, June 6, 2014

Phoenix Comicon Log: Day 1

      I've been going to Phoenix Comicon for about 4 years now. Each year, my dad and I go to meet indie writers and comic book makers,  and watch the various panels. I figured I might as well chronicle the events.

      First off, Thursday is usually the least populated day; it's only a couple of hours (Technically. It closes at 2 in the morning, but opens at 4 PM instead of 10 AM.), and usually means the place is a lot easier to move around in. That still holds true this year, but there were a LOT more people there than usual.
Though the market floor is SIGNIFICANTLY bigger than previous years. There is quite a bit more space to move in, and it seems there are a lot more booths.
      We picked up some various movie posters (which we do every year, but this time I brought a tube to safely transport them in!) and just generally looked around the floor.
      I got myself a Pop! Figure of Garrus Vakarian of Mass Effect.

Look at his adorable awesomeness!

      I collect statues, toys, and figurines of shows and games I am a fan of. They are all tastefully displayed about my room; in perfect striking position should they ever come to life, ironically enough.

      Following our mini adventure on the con floor, we went to a couple panels. I personally went to a panel on how to create My Little Pony Ears. I've been wanting to go to that panel for 3 years, and only now did I finally go. The panel itself was mainly teaching how to hand sew. I think I might have learned something from the panel, but I'm still stuck in the phase where if I can get the thread ready it is a minor celebration.
     I would very much like to learn though; I want to be able to make a cosplay costume for next year... I'm thinking probably AquaGround Style Megaman.Exe


Like this but Blue.
     I just need to figure out how on earth I'm going to do... All of this. I am gesturing to all of it.


     Meanwhile, my dad went to a panel on Game of Thrones and the historical connections within it. It apparently sucked. The panelists were under prepared, with only a small amount of knowledge on the subject each apart from knowing the books/show. There was no slideshow to accompany it either, meaning that school projects on how yeast grows when cooking are better prepared than a group of panelists.

     My dad and I have actually discussed that we should do a panel at some point. He's a teacher, so he does know how to lead a class, and make it interesting. I would think we'd do it on how to create believable characters, or characters with a lot of depth. It'd be a subject people would be interested in, and one we could talk a lot about.

But, following these panels, we met up at another panel featuring quite a few of the authors (book authors, not comic book authors) at the con. It was the best freaking panel we've ever been to. They had us laughing the entire time, with good stories, and good chemistry between all of the various authors. It was a freaking delight. (By the way, if you ever enter Canada illegally, apparently the best way to sneak back over is by a hot air balloon wedding.)

Following that, we adjourned home for the night... Leave on a high note so they say.~

That concludes Day 1, we'll see if I remember to write a day 2.


No comments:

Post a Comment